Glacier Wonders – Glacier Walk from Skaftafell
- 3-3,5 hours
For those looking for a quick but stunning adventure, this is a fantastic introduction to the unique, enthralling world of ice, traversing the spectacular but easy tracks of the Falljökull glacier, only a short distance from Skaftafell. This popular trip is a great eco-adventure full of variety and interest. Our buses leave from Skaftafell several times a day for the scenic 15 minute drive to Falljökull glacier. On our way we will see impressive mountains that line the southern edge of the Vatnajökull glacier.
Meet on location
We start our walk along the bottom of the glacier carved valley where your guide will explain the unique features left by the retreating Falljökull and Virkisjökull glaciers and their surroundings. As we arrive at the edge of the Falljökull glacier your guide will assist you with crampons and give a short lesson on the use of the equipment provided and safety talk. We explore the lower part of the glacier with many photo and Q&A opportunities along the way to our vantage point surrounded by breathtaking landscape. The Glacier Wonders trip will allow on average 1 hour on the glacier.
– Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
– Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
-Light sweater, wool or fleece
– Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
– Thin Gloves
– Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
– Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
– Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June – September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
– Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)