The Þríhnúkagígur volcano is a unique natural phenomenon. By setting up the necessary gear and equipment, a tour has been created that opens the door to a new world.
Upon arrival to the meeting point you will check in with your guide where you will be informed about all safety procedures and briefings. You will be split into groups of 6-7 people and given helmets and harness for your safety. To get down to the crater you will descent about 120 meters (400 feet) to the very bottom in a cable lift, this ride takes about 6 minutes. The first group to go down will also be the first one to go up.
You will get about 30-40 min to spend at the bottom of the crater where an expert guide will be with you the whole time. You are welcome to take as many photos as you wish however we ask you to please not take any stones or lava from the crater. The ground and environment inside the crater is very sensitive so our policy is to leave nor take anything.
When all the groups have returned to the surface you will be offered hot beverages as well as traditional Icelandic meet soup and/or vegetable soup.
• Pickup and dropoff in Reykjavík
• All safety gear, harness, helmets etc.
• Guided tour in a group of 6-7 people
• Traditional Icelandic meet soup, vegetable soup and hot beverages
• Good hiking shoes
• Outdoor clothing, warm and rainproof
• A camera
• This tours includes a 3,5 km (2 miles) distance walking each way. This walk takes about 45-50 minutes depending on the group.
• Minimum age for this tour is 12 years old, however an exception can be made for children who can manage the distance of 3,5 km both ways. Please note that if your child cannot complete the tour then unfortunately no refund is available.
• We do not recommend bringing infants to this tour.
Please note that if you miss the pick you are not entitle for a refund for the paid services. We require customers to be responsible for being ready at the designated pick up location at the scheduled time. Pick up locations vary from tour to tour but we always try our best to pick you up as close to your accommodations as possible. Regulations from the city of Reykjavík has hindered our ability to drive our larger vehicles within the city center so you might be required to go to the nearest bus stop. You can see a map and further info here: busstop.is
Changes made by Arctic Face
Icelandic weather can be very unpredictable therefor the itineraries are designed to be flexible taking weather conditions into account. We reserve the right to change your itinerary or cancel it with your safety in mind.
If the tour is cancelled with 48 hour or more notice we can offer a refund, if the cancellation happens within 48 hours before the tour starts a 100% cancellation fee will be applied.
All tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Arctic Face does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.